M12.9: Climate Change

1.    What do you personally find most troubling about climate change?
I think climate change is real and we are starting to see the significant impacts climate change has on our environment, especially through catastrophic events that recently took place in the U.S. and other parts of the world whether it’s storms, hurricanes, wild fires, or earthquakes. What’s frustrating is there are ample of scientific evidence out there that proved climate change is a real thing and is currently happening. Yet, some of the most powerful and authoritative people in the U.S. are choosing to ignore its existence and keep denying the fact that we are part of the problem of climate change. How can we even begin to solve the problem when we don’t even acknowledge the problem in the first place?
2.    As a public health professional, what do you think needs the greatest attention right now?
I think there are multiple problems that need our attention but if I have to choose I would choose to promote green energy and to reduce the use of plastic and reduce plastic waste released into the environment.
3.    If you were visiting with a long-lost relative who had never heard about climate change, how would you describe it and its attendant human health and ecological threats?

I would describe climate change as changes that are happening to our planet which include global warming, rising sea levels, shrinking mountain glaciers, accelerating ice melt in Greenland, Antarctica and the Arctic, and the shifts in flower/plant blooming times. I would underscore that global warming is a big problem of climate change because the global temperature shows a well-documented rise of temperature since the early 20th century. I would emphasized that these changes are not supposed to happen or at least they should not be happening at such a quick rate that the planet is being destroyed and soon will no longer be sustainable. The fact that the planet is being destroyed is in itself a threat for human being but the contributors to climate change, such as air pollution and deforestation, are directly affecting human lives and health as well. 

Comments

  1. Hi Nha,

    Yes, I definitely agree that we are starting to see the impact of climate change from the natural disasters that recently happened. We are definitely part of the climate change problem and the powerful and authoritative people are not taking action. I don't know what evidence they need to believe that climate change is real. I think the hurricanes that destroyed so many homes should have been enough for them to take the climate change problem seriously. From what you wrote, I really like how clear and educational your description of climate change.

    - Krissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nha,
    I agree that we are seeing catastrophic events world wide and that it's very frustrating that with all the evidence supporting climate change, that people still doubt it exists. What's even scarier and more frustrating is that some of these individuals are stakeholders and leaders of the government. I also like how you explained climate change and focus on it directly impacting the climate as well as human life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment